Friday, January 16, 2009

"List of 3" and Other Fun Stuff

2009 has begun and I am think I am off to a good start. A sweet friend of mine and I have decided to make “A List of 3” things or areas in our lives that need to be improved or accomplished. They can be specific projects within the home, or attitudes that need to be changed within our hearts. As the task has been completed we add another thing to the list, but limit it to three things so that we don’t get overwhelmed or discouraged. The idea is to draw closer to God throughout the New Year while being held accountable and encouraged through the process by another God-fearing woman.

It isn’t a “new year resolution” but “a lifetime resolution”. These things are aspects of my life that need to stay in check all the time, not just for the New Year. Here is my “List of 3 things”:

1. Get the girl's room cleaned and clutter free and complete decorating it.

2. Get hubby and I's room in order and clutter free. (putting all the clothes away in the dresser that is empty) I also want to decorate our room in The Fruits of the Spirit as well. Also to keep the kitchen clean, meaning, clean it every night before bed, no matter how much I don't "feel" like doing it.

3. Remember daily the Fruits of the Spirit and try to display them each day, not only in action for all to see but in my heart and mind where it really counts. Try and make time for God's word whether it be early in the morning, in the wee hours of the night (while nursing Charlotte) or at night before bed. Speak to my husband and children with gentleness and kindness and encourage them in the Lord.

My good friend Jessica gave me the cutest idea for decorating the girls’ room in “The Fruits of the Spirit”. I completed this project not so long ago and blogged about it here. It was so much fun doing this project, and convicting at the very same time. I plan to incorporate this idea through my entire home. I am also going to use the same concept and do “Love is…” according to 1 Corinthians 13 on the other wall in the girls’ room and in the master bedroom.

The Fruits of the Spirit Wall


Here is an added challenge to the list of 3:

Each day we find time to sit down and write a short word of encouragement for our husbands. It can be a note left in a place they will find it upon coming home from work. It doesn't have to be long, it can be a simple "I love and missed you today" kind of note. Each day it will help us to refocus our efforts towards our husbands and not focus on ourselves.

Malachi and I have two precious little ones, and they are in a way the focus of our lives at the moment. However, that doesn’t mean that our marriage suffers in any way as we keep a constant line of communication open. We both know each other well enough to know when the other person is struggling or having an “off” day. Our children are an expression of our love and devotion to each other and so we cannot separate them from our marriage. Yes, one day they will be grown and gone (hopefully not too quickly) but they will always be our children and we will always be their parents. We won’t require any of them to “move out” if they are single, and even if they do have families and need help, our home is always their home. Malachi and I are responsible for making the time for intimacy but realize that it is the “whole” of our marriage and the manner in which we treat each other should never be affected by the abundance or lack of intimacy we have in our marriage. I loved what Pastor John Piper said about marriage at the True Woman conference last year. You can listen to it here when speaks on not wasting our womanhood.

Revive our Hearts Ministry from Nancy Leigh Demoss has some awesome podcasts that you can download for free! I have been listening to a few of them each day and I have really enjoyed the encouragement (and challenge) of being a Godly wife and mother. I have listened to the entire “True Woman Conference” and highly recommend it to all Christian women. Sofia actually sat with me through the entire last podcast of the conference. I was listening to it on my Ipod while nursing Charlotte and Sofia climbed up on the couch and asked for one of the ear buds and listened with me for an hour! Malachi hurried and took a few pictures of this precious moment!

Me and My Sweet Daughters

Sofia wanted Mommy to smile for the picture


I recently purchased a wonderful book that I am about halfway through. “Passionate Housewives Desperate for God” has greatly encouraged me and challenged me as well. If I had limitless funds I would probably buy this book for everyone. I actually was able to purchase it through Visionforum.org while it was on sale. If you have some extra pennies and are looking for a book to read…this one is for you!

A friend of mine is going to send me her copy of “Lies Women Believe” by Nancy Leigh Demoss. We have done a sort of “book swap” thing, as I have mailed her my copy of Noel Piper’s (wife to Pastor John Piper) “Treasuring God in our Traditions”.


Recently I took on a sewing project to sew Sofia and Charlotte’s spring/summer dresses. I have completed Sofia’s dress (minus two buttons for the straps) and it was truly a labor of love. My husband sat with me night after night listening to me struggle to keep a joyful heart throughout the process. I was so frustrated that I had never been taught how to sew! The frustration actually stems from the underlying frustration of never being taught the Biblical value in being a wife and mother and keeping a home. I was never taught the value of a Biblically Virtuous woman as described in Proverbs 31 or Titus 2. In fact, I never remember anyone even mentioning those two passages of scripture to describe any woman in my family. It is sad, but liberal feminism is on the forefront of many families, even those claiming Christianity. I had to pray throughout the entire process just to guard my heart from bitterness and resentment.

The finished Product, a True Labor of Love

After all was said and done, the dress was completed and it was done out of love for my precious daughter Sofia. I am not only learning to sew for my own pleasure, but so that I am able to teach this special and valuable skill to my daughters. This weekend I plan to start on Charlotte’s dress with a much more pleasant heart about it.


If you are in the “crafty” mood, here are a few sites that I have come across that have inspired me!

Little Birdie Secrets has some neat little ideas of home crafts.

Sew Chic has given me the cutest idea for the receiving blankets I have lying around. I am actually going to start this project this weekend as well.

AllCraftsFree was recommended to me by a friend and I think I might try this pattern soon.

Burda Style has a cute jumper that I would love to try to make for Sofia.

Simplicity has some cute patterns for little girl clothes. They also have craft ideas for the home.


This was super yummy with vanilla ice cream!

Homemade foods are always the best. I found a great recipe for a homemade cherry pie that I tried out the other night and it was super yummy. I served it hot with vanilla ice cream!

I have shared this bread recipe with everyone I know (I think). It is so good I thought I would link to the recipe again!

I pray that your week is productive and that you are constantly seeking God’s wisdom and guidance through His Word. Let us focus more on our Lord, husband and children rather than on ourselves. Our rest, hope and care are in Jesus Christ, and yes even our strength and faith are from Him. Feel free to post a comment to this blog post with you “List of 3”.

Serving God and My Family,

Crystal <>< (SAHM)

No comments:

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon