![]() |
| Picture Credit |
I cannot remember where I found this recipe or how long I've been using it (at least 2 years), but this is my favorite recipe and it hasn't failed me yet. I make two loaves of bread at a time; this keeps me from having to make another loaf later in the week. You could also pre-make the dough and freeze it for future use, just make it, wrap it in freezer safe materials and freeze. The day that you are ready to make your bread, remove the dough from the freezer, allow the dough to thaw out completely and then cover and set in a warm place and then follow the instructions for rising times.
Feel free to play around with the flours. I use 2 cups of Whole Wheat and 4 cups of All Purpose, but you can most certainly use all Whole Wheat or All Purpose. If you are going to use Whole Wheat, I highly recommend using honey - it really does work well with the Whole Wheat Flour.
Homemade Bread
Yields 2 Loaves
Ingredients:
2 Cups warm water (110-115°F)
2/3 Cup Sugar (Or Honey)
1 ½ tsp salt
4 TBSP olive oil
6 Cups Flour (I do 2 Cups Whole Wheat + 4 Cups All Purpose – but feel free to use any combination that you’d like)
2 TBSP Dry Yeast
Directions:
1. In a mixer bowl, dissolve sugar in water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to stand until yeast forms a creamy foam on top (about 15 minutes). Turn mixer on low speed (I use setting 2 on my KitchenAid mixer) – add oil, salt, and flour. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and the dough pulls away from the bowl.
2. Remove dough, separate evenly into two balls of dough and place in lightly oiled bowls and cover. Set in a warm place and allow the dough to rise for 2 hours – or until double in size. (I wait the full 2 hours)
3. Do this for each ball of dough: Take dough out of the bowl and use a rolling pin to carefully roll dough out into a rectangle shape, and then fold in thirds. Pinch sides and place in lightly greased loaf pans.
4. Cover and let rise for one more hour.
5. Bake a 350°F for 25-30 minutes, or until done.
6. Remove from pan and let cool on a baking rack.
Once the bread is cooled, I wrap mine in wax paper and store in the refrigerator. Feel free to wrap and store in the freezer for future use.
Enjoy!
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <><














2 comments:
Thank you for sharing this Crystal! I remember when I was on the fence between whether to buy a Kitchen Aid stand mixer or a bread machine. A very wise friend nudged me in the direction of the stand mixer because you can make bread with it, but it also does so many other things! I'm all about multi-functional applicances! Just out of curiosity, have you guys slowly been working gluten back into your diet? Have you tried any gluten free bread recipes that have been successful? We're still tossing around the idea of going gluten free, but I'm beginning to suspect that we are "old dogs," and are resisting this particular "new trick." lol :D
Hi Julie!
Yes, we have been phasing gluten back into our diet. Poor Sofia was battling a lot of constipation from the gluten free diet. I never did try to make gluten free bread, we just bought Rudi's Gluten Free Bread from Whole Foods, and then just stopped having bread all together for a few weeks. There is nothing like a loaf of freshly baked bread though ;)
Crystal <><
Post a Comment