Thursday, December 8, 2011

Homemaking 101: Vision Encouragement and Instruction for Young, Christian Wives DVD {Giveaway}

Family Vision Films


Mrs. Jennifer Ross has created an invaluable resource for Christian women in her encouraging teaching series Homemaking 101: Vision Encouragement and Instruction for Young, Christian Wives DVD.  I first learned of this teaching series through one of my favorite blogs, “A Wise Woman”.  Just within the past week that I’ve had the DVD in my possession I (and my girls) have viewed it at least 4 or 5 times.  I’ve already begun to implement some of the “Homemaking” that Mrs. Ross suggests throughout Homemaking 101 and the stress level in my home has drastically decreased.  Her practical and of course Biblical approach to Homemaking truly makes this teaching series unique and timeless.
Mrs. Ross is a lovely hostess as she graciously opens her home and life to Christian women in the hopes that Christ may be glorified as she challenges and encourages us to joyfully serve our husbands and children.  In the very beginning of the DVD, after Mrs. Ross so lovingly opens her front door to welcome us into her home, she makes this poignant statement that still resonates with me – 

“We were created to joyfully serve our husbands”

I couldn’t have said it better!  It truly is a sad thing when Christian wives forget this basic Biblical truth – “woman was created for the man” (1 Corinthians 11:9).  We all know (and possibly even wince at reading it) that God created Eve to be Adam’s “helpmeet” (Genesis 2:18).  Post Modern Feminism has sold a very sour product that sadly, even within Christendom, has been bought at a great price – the family.  In a world where the modern culture of family has been perverted and broken, Mrs. Ross seems to revive the Biblical role of women within the words “We were created to joyfully serve our husbands”.  It is like a fresh breath of air!


All throughout Homemaking 101, Mrs. Ross shares some excellent and practical tips for managing the home well and joyfully and one is the wearing of an apron each day.  I love the idea of wearing an apron each day to symbolize the “homemaker’s uniform”. I have already begun to make this part of my morning routine – it really does jump start my day with the understanding that I do have work to do.

Finding time to spend time with the Lord and study His word can be difficult when you have small children; however, Mrs. Ross makes a timely observation: 

“Solitude and quiet are not a prerequisite for spending time with the Lord, especially if you’re a mother of small children.”

So often I think Christian mothers become discouraged with this particular area of the Christian life.  I tend to wait until my children are in bed for the evening to read my Bible – and even then I need to remember it is also the time that I have uninterrupted time with my husband.  Understanding that we are not entitled to uninterrupted scheduled time to sit and spend time with the Lord is of great encouragement.  You will find that this concept is touched on by an older Titus 2 woman in the DVD, where she points out that Jesus was constantly interrupted and He never grumbled or even expected solitude – He just served joyfully and was in constant communion with the Father.  I think it a far better thing to have our children witness their mothers praying or reading scripture even in spite of a busy or hectic day.  I have found it so beneficial in my own home, over the past several days, to sit and read my Bible while the girls are playing quietly – they inevitably ask me “Momma, what are you reading?” and the Lord gives me such a sweet opportunity to minister to my children this way.  

There is no more important ministry that a Christian wife and mother has than to those within her home.  This was one of the resounding messages throughout the DVD – 

“Motherhood…homemaking…IS a ministry. Your greatest mission is your home. There are lives to be saved in your own home.”

~Mrs. Janet Crowl

This is something that is of the utmost importance for Christian homemakers to understand – Our ministry is at home - to our husband and children.  If we find ourselves searching for or finding more fulfillment in some other ministry outside of our own homes, then we must reevaluate, repent, and turn our hearts back to our homes.  Our number one priority and ministry is in our homes.  We should be very careful and wise about the activities for which we commit ourselves to that take place outside of our homes.

All throughout Homemaking 101 are very practical tips for managing your time and your home well; for the glory of the Lord.  Mrs. Ross generously shares a few recipes and mealtime tips; time management tips, organization tips, and tips for incorporating your little ones into the daily chores and activities that need to be accomplished within the home.  She is the mother to 11 children, and to see such grace and joy as she cares for her home, her husband and children is truly inspiring and humbling.

I am thankful that the Lord has inspired Mrs. Ross to create such a lovely teaching series that is sure to inspire you as you seek to obey and honor the Lord.  Homemaking 101 is a resource that is sure to only benefit and bless you and your family.  This DVD would make a perfect gift idea for a “bride to be”, or a young mother who may be in need of some encouragement and guidance.  It is also an excellent resource for those who are like me, and never really got any training in the art of “Homemaking”.  No matter the season you find yourself in now, Homemaking 101 is bound to bless and encourage you in some way!

Now for the best part of this review – a GIVEAWAY!  I would like to show my appreciation and gratitude to Mrs. Ross by hosting a Giveaway of the Homemaking 101 DVD!  If you would like to win Homemaking 101 please leave a comment below.  For a second entry, please head over and “like” Mrs. Ross’ Facebook page – Renewing Housewives – then come back here and leave me a comment indicating that you have done so. 

I will announce the winner on Monday, December 12th!  

Also, be sure to head over and check out Mrs. Ross’ website Renewing Housewives, and all of the other wholesome Christian resources at Family Vision Films.


Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <><

28 comments:

Courtney said...

This sounds like a wonderful and uplifting instructional DVD!

cknadolny said...

As an older "new" mom of a 5 year old special needs son and 3 year old son, SAHM, homeschooling, I have been encouraged by your blog and will go to Mrs. Ross FB page. I sometimes find it hard to balance everything. I'm living my dream of being able to stay home and be with my boys and I want to be the best I can. Although been married almost 23 years, I always want to improve being a wife and mom. Thanks and many blessings for all that you do and share with everyone.

Julie said...

This is a lovely review, and I am intrigued with the DVD. I may get one and put it in our church library! Thank you!

Julie said...

I'm not sure if it counts, but when you said that you would be posting the review yesterday, I was curious so I went over to her page on FB and "liked" it. Does it count if I "liked" it before you suggested that I "like" it? lol :)

Mandi said...

sounds amazing!

Mandi said...

I liked the page on FB too!

Mrs. Sewell said...

Julie, Of course it counts! LOL

cknadolny - thank you so much for your kind words. It is always encouraging to know that the Lord has in some small way used this blog to encourage other Christian women. I too find it hard to balance everything - and this is one reason I love this DVD - she not only gives great Homemaking Tips, but encouragement for when we become overwhelmed. Thanks again for your kind words - they are a great encouragement to me!

cknadolny said...

I "liked" Mrs. Ross FB page. WOW she has some great resources! Hugs and Blessings ...Christine Nadolny

Jessica Schrank said...

What a great review you have posted...it certainly made me want to check it out. I'm a young, working mom of two small girls while my husband is currently stays at home. Any homemaking tips, ideas, or encouragement from this DVD would certainly help as a mothers role of homemaking never ends whether we work or stay at home... Thanks for sharing!

Mary Beth said...

I would LOVE this and need this. I've been praying for God to help me be better at housekeeping because I am not good at all. He has been sending me wonderful christian ladies to help me. Praise God...Love, Mary Beth

Amanda said...

I really enjoyed reading your review. I would love to have a copy of this DVD, but I just can't afford it right now. Thank-you for a chance to win one :)

amanda.corley@ymail.com

Amanda said...

I like the Renewing Housewives Facebook page.

amanda.corley@ymail.com

CarynB said...

This looks like a truly wonderful DVD and would be a great resource and encouragement to me and my family.



I also "liked" her FB page!

Blessings,
Caryn

Cassie said...

I would love the opportunity to watch this video. I have never received direction as a child on how to be a good homemaker or how to be a good wife and mother. I have been seeking for this kind of guidance all along. Unfortunately I am short on funds right so purchasing the dvd is not an option so the opportunity to win is an awesome opportunity and I can't thank you enough for this privilege. Thank you for sharing your review. It was uplifting and needed.

CarynB said...

What a wonderful resource for Christian women. I would love to have this in my home for instruction and encouragement.


PS I also liked her FB page!

Blessings,
Caryn Block

Cassie said...

I also have liked "Renewing Housewives" on FB.

Nicolemiko said...

I love the idea of wearing an apron every day to get you in the right mindset. I definitely want to start doing that! Thanks so much for this thorough dvd review. I was not completely sure if I should buy a copy of this but now I am convinced (that is if I don't win this giveaway ;) thanks so much for this opportunity!

Nicolemiko said...

I am a facebook fan of Renewing Housewives on FB.

Sammy and Missy Parris said...

We have been hearing about this for several week now. Would love to win it. I already like her on facebook. Not sure if this will count for two entries. Thanks so much for the chance to win!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a wonderful video that I would definately share with my sisters in Christ!!!

Shonda said...

I would LOVE to win this! I love Jennifer's relaxed manner. This would be a great encouragement to me while I feel like I'm drowning in home duties! shondaet@gmail.com

Shonda said...

I like Renewing Housewives on FB. shondaet@gmail.com

Jessica Payne said...

This sounds like what I have been looking for and needing. I would LOVE to win this. Thank you so much for this offer. :)

Jessica Payne

Jessica Payne said...

I just went to Renewing Housewives on facebook and liked her page. Thank you again.

Jessica Payne
Jes4Jesus@yahoo.com

Fruitful Vine Lady said...

What a wonderful giveaway! I would love to win, for my own benefit and to share the wisdom gained with other ladies. Thanks for the opportunity!

Fruitful Vine Lady said...

I also "liked" Renewing Housewives. Thanks again!

William Brown said...

You always give away encouraging things. I can't wait to see this.

Ora said...

This sounds like just what I need! What a priceless way to start the new year! I am a mother of six who homeschools and I am most challenged by giving my husband the support & attention he deserves. I am going right now to like her page- mostly cuz I want to know more!

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon