| Silly Charlotte |
Good Morning Everyone,
I’d like to thank everyone for keeping Charlotte in prayer, and for the emails filled with words of encouragement. Yesterday was a rough day for my sweet Charlotte, but she was as brave as she could be and she survived. Charlotte’s blood sugar was 98 (normal) and after waiting for what seemed like forever for a urine sample, the results showed no sugar or ketones in her urine. This is excellent news! This rules out Type 1 Diabetes, but doesn’t adequately explain her low weight.
Charlotte will see her gastroenterologist on Friday for another round of “rule outs”. Charlotte’s weight yesterday was 27.6lbs. For a 3 year old this is low, but nothing surprising. While she was born weighing 10lbs, by the time she was about 4 months she was only 12lbs. So, she didn’t “lose” any weight, she just never gained the weight that doctor’s expected she would. The last round of testing that Charlotte went through was for Cystic Fibrosis (negative), Crohn’s Disease (negative) and Celiac’s Disease (negative). The doctor also tested her stool to see how well she was absorbing nutrients from her food and breast milk and that test was perfect, in fact the doctor was left scratching her head as to what could be keeping Charlotte so small. When we went through this 2 year ago I was a nervous wreck, but now that diabetes has been ruled out, I’m not so worried. I have a feeling they may test for some sort of autoimmune disorder, but I have a feeling that will turn out negative as well. I really believe that Charlotte is “normal”. Charlotte rarely gets sick, and when she does recovers quicker than Sofia (I believe this is because I nurse Charlotte for 14 months and Sofia for only 6 weeks).
One thing I know for sure is that Charlotte’s body has no problems absorbing nutrients. During the time that she was being tested, the doctor advised us to give Charlotte 3 pediasure a day (this would add a lot more calories to her diet than needed), and Charlotte still did not gain the weight the doctor anticipated she would, BUT she never lost weight. She then gave us some samples of this super-duper potent pediasure stuff and the result was the same; no real big weight gain but no weight loss.
In the end, I think we’re going to be right where we started…scratching our heads. I think Charlotte is healthy and happy and tiny. I’m not a fan of putting children through tests until we find something wrong, so if the gastro doctor can’t explain this on Friday then I doubt we will do anymore testing. The last round of tests she did our insurance didn’t cover and we were stuck with a $300 bill, only for the results to be negative (which we already expected).
Please continue to keep us in prayer; Charlotte is not a fan of doctors; as I am sure you all can understand. Thanks again to everyone who is continuing to prayerfully support our family! We are so grateful!
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)













2 comments:
Hey,
Just something for you to think about, Logan is only 31.5 lbs. at 4 years old and Levi was almost 18 at his 1 year check up. I am praying that everything continues to come back negative, but at the same time..I truly believe God makes them in all shapes and sizes. Of course I believe in seeing to it that they're healthy, but some just cannot handle small children..especially in my case with boys. God bless you all, Ashley
Ashley,
I totally agree with you. I think had Charlotte not started out so heavy (10lbs) and with a heart condition no one would take a second look. Sofia is 5 years old now and weighs about 36lbs - but no one says anything about her (birth weight 8lbs 13.5oz) and I did not nurse her. Eleanor is now 7 months old and weighs nearly 17lbs (birth weight 9lbs 8oz and she is exclusively breastfed like Charlotte was); but I don't take her to the doctor since we do not vaccinate anymore.
After this appointment with the gastro doctor I doubt we will "look" any farther. Our objective is not to test until we find something...which I know is what the physician's objective is...which in reality only rapes our insurance company and our bank account. It is about time for a routine check-up anyways, so better to just get it out of the way. Charlotte will always have a cardiologist and possibly this gastro doctor, but as long as nothing is wrong she won't see them routinely.
Thanks for the prayers :)
Crystal <><
Post a Comment