Most people who have been following my blog, or been friends with me since Charlotte was born (July 2008) knows that she was born with a heart condition (SVT) and then went through a year or two of different medical tests because of her weight. As of January 2010, her gastroenterologist couldn’t find anything wrong (CF negative, Crohn’s Disease negative, Celiac Disease negative, etc), however something new has popped up and we need to take Charlotte to the doctor.
Charlotte was born weighing in a whopping 10lbs. Shortly after she was born the nurse handed her to me and I nursed her. When the nurse took her back to do all of the heal sticks and cleaning up stuff the nurse chewed me out for nursing her because she couldn’t tell if her sugar levels were already elevated prior to nursing, or elevated because I nursed her. However, all of that was overshadowed because of her heart rate spiking to 280bpm. She was then rushed to the NICU and the rest is history. Throughout her first year of life she plummeted off of the growth chart below the 3rd percentile and she was tested for all kinds of things that would explain this. It was a rough first year, but once she was off of the heart medication she started sleeping better and the nonstop crying…stopped. Neither the gastroenterologist nor the pediatrician could find anything wrong, and thus the frequent visits to the doctor stopped.
Here we are today and Charlotte is a little over 3 years old and we are faced with another potential health problem. Malachi noticed that her breath smells sweet, but not just like candy sweet, but like a medicine/sick sweet. I’ve noticed this for a long time and just thought that was how her breath smelled normally. After going through some other symptoms (frequent urination, always hungry, inability to gain weight) and seeking counsel and advice from my midwife and her gastroenterologist we’re having Charlotte tested for Type 1 Diabetes. She will see her pediatrician tomorrow morning and we’ll go from there. She will also see her gastroenterologist on Friday. I’m sure both doctors will consult with her cardiologist to get his input as well.
What do we need right now? Prayer. Prayer for Charlotte, that she will be brave throughout the course of testing; blood work, etc. Prayer for me and Malachi, that we will be brave for her as well, and be of sound mind during this, not led by our emotions. That we will use this opportunity as means to teach our children about God’s Sovereignty and show our faith strong in the midst of what could be a life altering diagnosis for us and for Charlotte.
I will keep everyone updated as often as I can and I thank you all in advance for lifting us up in prayer.
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













2 comments:
I will be praying for Charlotte and your family!
I will be praying!! Jesus will keep you guys strong during this time and give little Charlotte courage too!
take much care,
celeste
Post a Comment