Sunday, October 14, 2007

Love


Praise the Lord for HE is good!


Today has been a gorgeous day! It is just now beginning to feel like fall here in South Louisiana! It won't actually get cold until later next month. Today's HIGH was 82°F, but the air was a bit dryer so it is cooler in the shade.


Today's sermon was so good! We are in 1 Corinthians chapter 13. I really need to read this chapter word for word EVERY day! Before I came to know the Lord on a personal level I fell for the lie that this world feeds us each day, and that is “love” is a feeling. When explained by Paul in 1 Corinthians 13 we find that he never wants describes “love” as a “feeling”. Paul described “love” as an action word.


There are three types of love that we see described through the New Testament. Keep in mind that the New Testament was originally written in Greek. The first type of love that we see described is “phileo” love. This is a brotherly love, or a type of love between to very close friends. “Eros” love is passionate love, with sensual desire and longing. Then there is “agape” love which is the type of love that the Lord has for us. This is a sacrificial love and this is the word that is used here in 1 Corinthians 13. Agape love I would have to say is the purest form of love. When reading through 1 Corinthians 13 I am made more and more aware of which type of love is the one that I should have all the time. Our pastor described these three words in this manner:

Phileo” love means: “I love you if you....”

Eros” love means: “I love you because you.....”

Agape” love means: “I love you even though, or no matter what....”


Can you see how the first two forms of love fall short when compared to “agape”? Can you see how the first two forms of love are only given when certain conditions are met? Now look at “agape” love and read through 1 Corinthians 13. You will find that this type of love is the greatest and is eternal! At the end of chapter 13 we read this:


But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.” v.13


Our pastor explained this last verse by showing us that when we are face to face with the Lord as described in verse 12, we no longer will need “faith” and our “hope” has been fulfilled, so the only thing left is love! Love for all eternity! This “agape” type love is something we “do”. We love people in spite of themselves. I am going to post the entire chapter in closing. Please read through this and really absorb what Paul is trying to teach the Church in Corinth. The Church in Corinth has completely lost the point. I believe that some of us as we go through this life miss the forest for the trees. Let us always remember this life is NOT about us! We were created to Glorify the Lord in all we do and say. I am going to make it a requirement of my day to read this chapter and truly implement this “agape” love. If I do everything else right in this life, yet do not have love, then it is all useless.


1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.” (emphasis mine)



Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)

1 comment:

Sadie said...

This is one of my favorite chapters too, I really enjoyed the connection you made between arriving in heaven and the last verse. Thanks again friend!

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon