Monday, December 5, 2011

Meal Planning and Pre-Preparation

Picture Credit
I have been planning out weekly meals for a couple of years now and it certainly decreases unnecessary stress in my life.  I am constantly searching for easy, healthy and budget friendly meals to prepare for my family; and over the weekend  I found two new recipes to put into my "Pre-Preparation" menu planning book.  I regularly receive recipes and recipe tips from "Taste of Home" and have really enjoyed adding many of them to my recipe book.  This weekend the girls helped me pre-make some jars for a new Pasta Fagioli Soup recipe from "Taste of Home".
Pasta Fagioli Soup Mix

I purchased big bags of dried beans and after the girls measured them and poured them into our Mason jars, I decided to store what was left over into clean Mason Jars - I wish I would have thought of this idea before!  Storing my dried beans, rice, and granola ingredients in quart or pint sized Mason jars not only makes my pantry more organized but is just a cute idea! 

Some of my dry ingredients stored in Mason Jars
On Saturday I made fresh chicken stock from the carcass of a rotisserie chicken I purchased from Whole Foods and was able to freeze 4 cups and put two quart sized Mason jars of the stock in my ice box for use during the week.  This was the first time I've  made my own chicken stock - I don't think I will go back to buying the carton stuff anymore.  It was super simple and inexpensive.  I love DIY projects!

Homemade Chicken Stock
Meal planning and pre-making certain items for different meals throughout the week is a great idea to maximize your time each day.  I like using Saturdays for my big baking day.  I was able to make two loaves of bread, the chicken stock, and the pre-made Pasta Fagioli Soup mix for this week.  I saved money by making my own bread (I've gotten out of the habit of doing this and it costs me $3.99 a loaf at Whole Foods) and chicken stock (this costs me $1.99 a carton at Whole Foods), and it just feels good to get out of the habit of being dependent on the grocery store for certain items that are easily made at home for a fraction of the cost.  

Creating a weekly meal plan helps to cut down on unnecessary trips to the grocery store, which in turn cuts down on unnecessary stress that may come from not being fully prepared for each meal.  Managing your time wisely is part of being the keeper of your home (Titus 2:3-5).  The more time spent outside of the home because of poor planning can wreak havoc on your day, week, and most of all your family.  For our family, because my husband gets paid weekly, I do our grocery shopping every Saturday.  This gives my husband some daddy/daughter time with the girls, and I can get in and out of the grocery store in a timely manner.  I make sure I have a detailed grocery list for all of the items I will need during the week which corresponds with my weekly meal plan.  If I forget an item, then I simply improvise with something else - or we just do without it; if it isn't an essential item like toilet paper.

How do you plan your meals?  What are you "staple" meals that are on your weekly menu every week?  What techniques or strategies do you use to help cut down on meal preparation?

I read this today and thought I would share it with my readers.  Enjoy!

Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <><

No comments:

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon