As many of you know, over the past several years we have completely changed our philosophy on nutrition and medicine to a more holistic approach to caring for the bodies the Lord has given us. This means that we eat organic or all-natural foods (gotta be careful with "all-natural" though because often times it isn't all that "natural") and we treat many illnesses at home through food (LOTS of garlic as it is a natural antibiotic) and vitamin supplements like vitamin C and D3. I do my best to steer clear of processed packaged foods as they generally contain hidden ingredients such as MSG and other nasty stuff that isn't good for our bodies - however when I do buy canned items they are always organic and from Whole Foods (they do not allow BPA or other toxic canning chemicals) and are things like canned diced tomatoes or spaghetti sauce - although I am trying hard to get better at canning my own tomato products.
I have known about the "Green Smoothie" phenomenon for some time and we've tried it out on several occasions and found they are simply delicious and do provide the needed energy our bodies need to make it through the day, sadly however, I have not been as "gung ho" on this one as with other things in our diet - to my shame of course. This morning after putting Eleanor down for her nap and the girls are watching a movie that coincides with our Bible lesson; I decided to catch up on blog reading and came across this
I know of several other people who have incorporated a green smoothie into their menu planning for breakfast meals and they have had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. I would however, when possible, make fresh juice to add to ours as I do have a very nice juicer. I believe all in all, this is a great idea that would be quite easy for everyone who is health conscious to add into their arsenal of recipes - your bodies will thank you!
Do you make green smoothies already? If so, what are your favorite recipes? Do your children have a favorite "green smoothie" recipe? I'd love to hear from my fellow "Green Smoothie'ers", so leave a comment below with your best recipes!
*Note* The picture above is from Whole Foods' website that is attached to a very tasty recipe for a "Double Green Smoothie" - Go check it out!
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <><
-I do not necessarily "agree" with everything posted on the blog I recommended.














4 comments:
We love them, we try to have them at least 4 days a week. Many variations all depending what I bought more of during grocery shopping...my kids hear the juicer or blender and come running into the kitchen excited.
Melody,
I had seen your post on the smoothies too, and I have another friend is talks about them - I really need to get on the ball and make them more often. Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting, and always being so encouraging!
Love you!
Crystal <><
Here is our favorite:
1/2 C water
1 C green grapes
1/2 C fresh pineapple chunks
1/2 medium banana, peeled
2 C fresh spinach, washed
1/2 C ice cubes
We love it because it tastes like green apple, but there's no apple in it! :)
Oh Julie,
That sure does sound scrumptious! Thanks for sharing!
Love you,
Crystal <><
Post a Comment