Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Homebirth Story

 

  





As many of you know, we had expected our sweet Eleanor to arrive early, so when that didn’t happen and I began approaching my due date I did have moments where I became discouraged.  However, I have an amazing husband, midwife, doula and sweet friends who kept me encouraged that Ellie would come and it would be wonderful.  By this past Friday (25 Feb 2011) I resigned to the fact that Ellie would most likely come after 40 weeks (her due date 28 Feb), and that I would enjoy every last moment of my pregnancy and rejoice in the blessing to come.

            We chose to have Ellie at home for several reasons. My last two birth experiences with Sofia and Charlotte were horrible and traumatizing to me emotionally, and I wanted more control over the process of my birth this time.  I researched and researched everything about natural childbirth and also had to go through a process of healing from my past experiences with birth and other personal issues.  Malachi and I took steps to give us more control of the decisions that would be made during my prenatal care, labor and delivery by switching hospitals/providers.  After my initial visit with an OB upon finding out we were pregnant this time, we switched to a totally different facility with midwives.  I loved the model of care that the midwives provided and their philosophy of birth.  The idea of homebirth had been implanted into my mind almost 2 years ago, but I was not fully informed at the time and wasn’t quite sure it was for me.  However, the Lord really pressed upon me to look into it, and so I did just that.  I have a sweet friend whom I met while pregnant with Charlotte who had her second child at home.  We had many conversations and she put up with the bazillion questions I had about homebirth and eventually recommended that I contact the homebirth midwife she used.

Fast forward to pregnancy with Eleanor: I contacted the homebirth midwife, and she answered all my questions throughout the pregnancy while I stayed under the care of the midwives through the hospital because of my history of miscarrying.  We also acquired the services of a Doula that I had met with when I was pregnant with Charlotte.  We ended up not having the money with Charlotte to hire her, but this time Malachi and I were determined to have the best birth, and hiring her was a no-brainer.  I began seeing the homebirth midwife towards the end of my pregnancy, and we were totally excited that everything was falling perfectly into place.  Finally, I was going to have the birth I had been longing for since I got pregnant the very first time!

            This pregnancy, as I have said before, had been totally different than with Sofia and Charlotte.  We are eating healthier and have a totally different philosophy about medicine, so the logical conclusion was a homebirth for us.  While I know that many people are frightened by the thought of not having the “safety net” of the hospitals and their “experts”, Malachi and I have become quite disenchanted with our medical system and the “expert’s” philosophies about pregnancy and birth.  Pregnancy is not a pathology or a condition to be controlled, but is a natural process that God designed to procreate and there is nothing frightening about it, although our culture and society would have us think otherwise with all of the “what if’s?”  We realize that homebirth is not a safe option for everyone, but we do believe for the majority of women homebirth is the best option if more families were just better informed.  

            Sunday evening my midwife called to check on me and we set up an appointment for my 40 week checkup for Monday (Feb 28th).  I thought Eleanor would come the middle of the week or so, but was resigned to waiting patiently on the Lord’s perfect timing.  Malachi and I watched the Oscar’s Sunday night, and then we headed to bed sometime after 11pm.  A little before 2am Monday morning (Feb 28th) I went to roll over and GUSH…my water broke EVERYWHERE!  I jumped out of bed and couldn’t stop laughing because I felt like the Hoover Dam had just broken between my legs.  Malachi quickly jumped into action getting towels…all the while water was still gushing onto the floor while I stood there laughing…truly a sight to see I am sure.  Once Niagara Falls stopped I called my midwife who told me that it could be a couple hours before contractions start and to try and get some rest.  Little did she and I know that would not be the case.  Malachi and I began to get things straightened up and in order so that he could get the birthing tub set up.  I started my labor music and lit some candles and texted everyone that my water had broken.  Within about 30 minutes from my water breaking the contractions started and they definitely were different than that ones I had been experiencing for the last month or so.  At first they were about 8 minutes apart and then quickly to 2 minutes apart.  I called my midwife back and informed her of the progress and she got ready and came over, along with my Doula and my friend who had recommended my midwife at the beginning of the pregnancy. 

            About this time Sofia woke up from hearing all the commotion in the living room and we decided to let her stay up with us.  She was so excited that Ellie was on the way and quickly went from being a 4 year old little girl to a big helper.  She put on these fairy wings we bought the girls the day before and pranced around telling us that she was my “birth fairy”.  It was the cutest thing.  During each contraction before anyone showed up Sofia would hold my hand or rub my back.  She really was a huge help to me.  My Doula’s assistant was the first to arrive and then shortly after my Doula showed up.  They helped me through the contractions while Malachi got the birthing tub set up.  My midwife and friend arrived and everyone just jumped right into action.  I had the support I needed from my Doula and Malachi.

            My contractions were getting really intense and there was little time to even think between them, although for the short time I did have between them I was able to laugh and talk…which was great.  Then suddenly they just kept coming, back to back without much of a break.  During this time my midwife, the Doula’s assistant and Malachi were frantically trying to get the water ready in the tub.  Not only did we have the hose running hot water from the shower, but there were several pots on the stove boiling water!  My midwife wasn’t sure they would have the tub ready in time, so she and Malachi made the bed in case I need to deliver Ellie there.  However, the Lord is gracious and the tub was ready JUST IN TIME!  Once I got in, the labor really picked up and I suddenly felt the need to push…and so I pushed.  About ten minutes later after some good strong pushes and LOTS of coaching and encouragement from everyone Ellie was born!  

Sofia witnessed everything and was excited the whole time.  She even supported me by pouring warm water on my back while I was laboring in the tub and kept telling me “momma you’re doing a good job!”  I am so thankful that she was able to be present for the birth of her little sister.  One thing that Malachi and I wanted to do through this is to lay a foundation for them where they won’t fear birth, and learn to appreciate it as a special part of life that God designed women for.  Sofia had the awesome privilege of cutting Eleanor’s umbilical cord, which Sofia calls “Ellie’s string”, and is still talking about the entire event with such excitement.  Sofia tells me frequently throughout the day “You did a great job mom”.  It is like my 4 year old matured 10 years in a matter of three hours. 
 
            We woke Charlotte up shortly after Eleanor was born and she was so excited to see her.  She is having some of the normal behavior issues of being “dethroned” as the “baby”, but she loves Ellie and will walk up to me and say “push push push Ellie out!”  So even she has experienced some excitement from mommy being home to have Ellie.  

            I can say that my homebirth experience was the most amazing thing I’ve ever done.  I know many people think I have accomplished much by different things I’ve done in my life, but giving birth at home naturally is by far my greatest accomplishment.  I am so blessed and thankful for my amazing husband.  I could not have done this without him.  His devotion to me and unwavering support only makes me even more “over the moon” about him.  I love my amazing midwife who has become a part of our family and not merely the woman who caught Eleanor.  She has been such a source of encouragement and wisdom and I am truly grateful the Lord brought her into our family.  My Doula, what can I say, I am just so thrilled she was here.  It feels like we have come full circle from the first time I met her to now.  She kept me focused and breathing, and I just couldn’t have asked for a better woman to be here to fill that role.  My doula brought an assistant who not only supported me through labor but she washed dishes, boiled water and tended to my girls when needed!  I am so thankful that she was able to attend my birth as well, and it was an honor to have her in my home.  My sweet friend, who quite literally got the ball rolling for this day a couple years ago, I am forever grateful.  If it were not for her and her constant patience with me through all my questions, and even through all the emotional ups and downs towards the end, this would not have been possible.  She may not know the impact she has had in my heart, but she will forever hold a very special place there. 

            I praise the Lord that He sustained me through the entire labor and delivery.  There was not one moment of fear or regret during the entire experience.  I felt safe and secure knowing that He designed my body to do this, and that He placed the perfect set of people in my life to support me through it.  I am also thankful that the Lord forced me to deal with many emotional traumas that have taken place in my life.  He appropriated the perfect amount of time for me to process and heal from those things which allowed me to have the awesome fear-free birth I had.  I can say that natural childbirth at home does not frighten me one bit.  It was the most amazing thing I have ever experienced.  I am on cloud nine and feel as though many hurts have been healed through this process.  I am thankful to all those who have kept us in prayer throughout this pregnancy and through the labor and delivery.  I still can’t believe that my labor was only 3 hours and while it was painful hard work it was easier than I could have ever imagined.

            Eleanor Michelle was born on her due date of February 28, 2011 weighing in at 9lbs 8oz and 22 inches long.  She is perfect in every way and I am totally smitten by her.  Soli Deo Gloria!

Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so proud of you and so excited that you got your homebirth. I am also awed at God's hand in this because it only seems like such a short time ago you had several miscarriages and now you have sweet Ellie in your arms. What a beautiful experience for Sofia too. I bet she will never forget that.

Laura said...

Congratulations! It is a great encouragement to hear that you were able to do home birth so seamlessly!

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon