Today Malachi decided to take Sofia on her very first "Daddy/Daughter Date". It also happens to be her very first trip to the "Big" movies, as we call it. She put on a new dress, let me do her hair all pretty, and packed her own little purse with an extra pull-up, wipes and her cup (all the essentials of course!).
My little Sofia is growing up and I am so excited about her first "Daddy/Daughter Date". These will become great times of instruction from her father on what a Godly man will be like. While she is only 3 years old we feel this is the perfect time to really start showing her how to spot a counterfeit.
In my own life I was never taught this basic yet vital proponent of life. I was always taught to look for the man who had money and/or status that would benefit me. Never was I taught how to spot a truly God-fearing man, nor was that ever mentioned as a priority. Now that I have my own daughters, and know all too well what life would have been like had God not intervened and introduced me to Malachi, this aspect of life is of vital importance in my daughters honoring God.
While we call this special time with daddy a "date", I can assure you that our daughters (and sons, should we have them) WILL NOT date in the same context that the world does. Malachi and I, after much prayer, searching God's word and reading commentary on this issue by Godly parents, we have determined that "dating" simply is not Biblical, and only encourages a divorce like mentality. Modern day dating prepares young people (and old) to simply separate themselves from a "boyfriend/girlfriend" for just about any reason. Children are not being taught purity, not just sexually, but emotionally. We can all allow ourselves to become inappropriately attached to a person of the opposite sex without ever having a physical relationship. When this happens within a marriage we call it "having an emotional affair". Malachi and I believe this is exactly what modern day dating teaches young people to be comfortable with.
Couples these days split up because the other person isn't making them happy, or simply because the wind shifted in a different direction and they have, in a split second, "fallen out of love". These people meander through life, going through partners like babies go through diapers. Young women are being taught that they should seek after their own desires first and then settle down later; because once you are married and have children, you life subsequently ends! Hogwash! Young men are being told the same thing, just with a different spin, that it is completely acceptable (and "manly") to pursue as many women as you desire, as long as they don't lead them to believe they are looking for a "serious relationship"(and as long as they don't impregnate these women). Heaven forbid we give the wrong idea to anyone!
We need more Christian parents raising up sons and daughters who fear the Lord and seek to honor Him with every aspect of their lives. In order to accomplish this end, we as Christian parents have to model these virtues to our children by establishing when they are young, what is Biblically approriate and what isn't. Our children watch our every move and listen to our every word daily; there is no doubt in my mind that I will impact my children much more than any boyfriend or girlfriend, and that "impact" begins right now while they are young.
"You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up." Deutoronomy 11:19
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)













2 comments:
Wow! This post is really profound. As a mommy-to-be, I really need to start making sure that I am praying with my husband for our children to not just be obedient and well-behaved, but to grow up to be God-fearing people. Your mindset on dating totally makes sense. It is also something I need to pray about with my husband.
Your daughter is so precious! Thanks for the thoughtful post.
Post a Comment