Monday, April 27, 2009

Charlotte Sleeps!

After taking about 2 weeks off from blogging I decided that my faithful readers might enjoy an update on our journey in getting Charlotte to sleep. Charlotte is now 9 ½ months old and before my sweet husband and I decided to really work on getting Charlotte to sleep better she was only sleeping for maybe 2 hours at a time. This has been going on since birth! We have resolved her nursing problems and eating problems and her heart condition is not (according to her cardiologist) causing her any problems. A couple of my dear friends recommended that we read “The No Cry Sleep Solution” and “The Happiest Baby on the Block”, and as of today I can very confidently say that I endorse both books. After much prayer and searching the scriptures letting Charlotte (or any of our children) “cry it out” just didn’t sit well for me or Malachi. These two books offer, in our opinion, a better solution. It does not guarantee instant results and means that the parents have to work hard and exercise MUCH prayer and self control.

The first few days were extremely rough and only added to my sleepless nights. They were not void of tears (even from me), but when Charlotte did cry, I was there to comfort her and reassure her that I wasn’t going to leave her.

Nights 1-7 were horrible! I was beginning to think that Charlotte would never sleep more than about an hour or two, however, the blessed night 8 came and Charlotte slept from 630pm to 1230am! Praise God! My prayers, patience and sleeplessness all paid off! Malachi and I could not believe it! In fact, Malachi stayed up until he heard her because it made him anxious that she was SLEEPING! After waking up at 1230am and nursing she slept for another 4 hours or so! Night 9 went roughly the same and I finally got more sleep too! Night 10 was last night and actually didn’t go as well because a family in our neighborhood decided that they needed to party very loudly. It took two calls to the Parish Sheriff’s office for them to turn their music off. The enemy will attack any progress that we make, and he is so not sneaky about it!

God is good y’all! He gave me the strength I needed to help Charlotte learn to sleep longer. It was no easy task, but the hard work paid off and I give all the glory to God. If you are having trouble getting your little one to sleep I highly recommend the two books I mentioned above. They are worth the purchase.

God never leaves us to “cry it out”…He is always with us…never forsaking us…never forcing us to be independent from Him…why would we be any different with the children He has entrusted in our care?

Serving God and My Family,

Crystal <>< (SAHM)

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I watched a short video with Dr. Sears and his no cry sleep method, and they remind parents at the end that often after the baby starts sleeping through the night they may suddenly regress and want to wake up again. I'm sure they said that in your book... Weslee did that for a few nights but is now sleeping even longer (10 hours last night!).

Mrs. Sewell said...

Oh yes, Charlotte slept for 6 hours at a time for two nights and now is back to her past sleep habits...she is only sleeping for 2 hours again....so we start from the beginning.

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon