As I sit to write this blog, there is finally peace in the house. Charlotte had a rough night last night and seems to be having an even rougher day. She finally fell asleep for her nap after crying on and off for a couple of hours. So, while she rests and Sofia lies on the couch with her stuffed animals, I will blog.
Malachi and I read a chapter in Dr. Baucham’s book “ Family Driven Faith” and it was so convicting. Chapter two is called “A GOD WITH NO RIVALS” and it is about how we need to tear down any idols that we have set up in our lives. This really clutched my heart last night as I read it aloud to Malachi. When Malachi and I married we set out on a journey to Glorify God with our marriage and with our children. In my human depravity however, I have fallen back into a sin that seems to keep catching me off guard, the sin of idolatry. I did not have to make a golden statue and bow before it each day to become ensnared by the sin of idolatry; all I merely had to do was turn my computer on in the morning. Yes, I have set my computer up as an idol in my life, and my relationship with my husband and children has begun to suffer, but most importantly my relationship with the Lord. God makes it known in His word that He is a jealous God who will share His Glory with no one. Exodus 34: 14-16 and Exodus 20: 3-5 are commandments to us forbidding us to worship anything other than God Almighty. Isaiah 42:8 says “I am the Lord, that is My name; I will not give My glory to another, not My praise to graven images.” In “The Family Driven Faith”, Dr. Baucham says:
“You cannot read these verses and come away with a flippant attitude about God’s glory. The Lord is jealous about His name and His glory. He is not satisfied being E Pluribus Unum. God is God. He’s not running for God, and He doesn’t need your vote (or mine). He was the only one around when the votes were casr, and there will never be a recount. God is God.” (p.33)
He goes on to say:
“A family without a commitment to the God of the Bible has no hope of stemming the tide of cultural onslaught. If we mix a little biblical truth, a little secular psychology, a little romance novel ideology, and a little eastern mysticism, we will get a deadly mixture of lies. Unfortunately, this is exactly what many Christian families do. We do marriage according to Dr. Phil, raise our children according to Dr. Spock, govern our sex lives according to Dr. Ruth, and only run to Dr. Jesus when things have gotten so bad we can’t find another doctor to help us.” (p.33)
I love that he states that “A family with a commitment to the God of the Bible has no hope of stemming the tide of cultural onslaught.” More Christians need to hear this message. As Christians cannot expect our children to grow to be sons and daughters of the Mighty God if we do not lay a foundation for them that is built on Biblical Truths.
I have found myself so consumed with checking my email and maintaining my myspace and facebook pages, that I have lost sight of what is really important…Serving God and My Family. When I wake in the morning the very first thing I do is turn my computer on and begin checking my emails and other popular internet sites. To my shame it has caused my house to become a disaster area, dinner not prepared when my husband arrives home from work, a sweet 2 ½ year old sitting in front of the TV most days, and a mommy who is cranky because her life is in disarray.
“Be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So do not be foolish but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Holy Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.” Ephesians 5: 15-21
I have not been obeying this command. I do not speak to my husband or children in “psalms and hymns”…again to my shame.
“We cannot expect our children to rise above our example. If my kids don’t see me spending time in God’s Word, they probably won’t. If they see me using inappropriate language or involved in “coarse jesting” (Ephesians 5:4), they will probably follow suit. If they see me scream at their mother and treat her with contempt, they will probably disrespect her as well. We can try to teach them to do as we say, not as we do, but our words can only go so far when they are contradicted by our actions.” (p.39)
That passage from “Family Driven Faith” speaks volumes to me. Growing up I heard the phrase “Do as I say, not as I do” more times than I can count. I also heard the phrase “I am the adult, you are the child” a million times as well. These two phrases do nothing in rearing children to grow up and serve God and obey His commands. It only teaches them that parents are hypocrites and are not trustworthy. I have found myself using words that I should not around my children and again to my shame, Sofia has started repeating one of the words. It has utterly broken my heart because she learned the word from me. After reading the chapter on “A GOD WITH NO RIVALS” it has caused me to take action and repent of my sins. I have received God’s merciful and gracious forgiveness for today is a new day!
I will continue to blog on topics (like this one) that are relevant to Biblical Living, but I will drastically skim down my time on the computer. I need to take every precious moment given to me with my husband and children and guard it. The family unit is a sacred one that the enemy attacks first in his efforts to destroy God’s people. I love the Lord with everything I have and I needed this kick in the rear to get back in synch with His Word and His will. I need to make my marriage a priority and reconnect with my husband so that I don’t fall into this sin again. Dr. Baucham writes an excellent thing about ordering your relationships by the Book on page 46. I highly recommend this book to all Christian families. It cuts straight to the point and straight to the heart on Christian issues and how we are commanded to live our lives.
The goal of this post is to come to you all in humility so that those who are struggling with these same issues don’t condemn themselves or feel alone, but will run into the arms of Jesus, repent and turn from their sins. I pray that we all walk in a way that is pleasing to the Lord and sets us apart from the rest of the world so that they might see the Truth and come to have a saving relationship with Jesus Christ!
Serving God and My Family,
















2 comments:
You are a great mommy and wife, my friend. I always appriciate your honesty.
I have found myself really reflecting on the last year or two or three and finding that there are some areas in my own life that need much improvement -- not the least of which is a drastic reduction in computer time.
I am on the computer for personal reasons (email, etc.) every morning, and on the computer every evening to complete a degree in Elementary/Special Education. That degree seems to be a difficult point for me.
When I first started to persue the degree, it was because I felt I needed to be prepared in case homeschool laws changed to disallow homeschooling without the proper credentials and certification. My husband was extremely supportive and encouraged me, and I received an Associates Degree in Paraprofessional Education in June 2008.
However, I have really been praying about this issue lately, and wondering if it is wise to continue to devote the time to this instead of investing more time and effort in my children's education and in homemaking efforts. Now that I am pregnant, I am really thinking that the Lord has answered my question for me because of the time I'd need to spend out of my home observing in classrooms, not to mention student teaching, before actually receiving the degree. However, it is difficult to justify all the hours and money spent on the pursuit of the degree thus far.
My husband has offered that even if I never teach in a classroom I can still be effective in the homeschool community and therefore the time and money will not go "wasted". So it's a dilemma at this point in some ways, since my husband and I are not entirely on the same page. Not wanting to be disobedient to him, I feel I need to at least continue through the spring semester, and then see where the Lord will lead.
I am going to look for that book tomorrow between OB appointments!! Maybe if we read it together the answers will be clear for both of us. It would be nice to have his affirmation help me with this difficult choice.
Post a Comment