Rest is an important part of our lives that we all need to function successfully. When we are ill "they" tell us to get our rest. When a woman is pregnant she is told to get her rest. When a new baby is born we are told they need lots of sleep. I have been told that newborns need to learn to sleep with lots of noise. The logic (flawed in my opinion) is that the baby will learn to sleep through anything making it easier on mom to get things done around the house. I am learning that every child needs undisturbed rest. This means that I have to make sure that my children go down for their naps in a calm and quiet area. This actually helps them to get the rest they need to maintain a good disposition throughout the day. Jess over at "Making Home" posted an article on this very topic that I thought was well said. Not only do babies and toddlers need their rest, adults need rest as well. I am not sure which is worse, a cranky baby/toddler or a cranky adult. Naptime is non-negotiable in my house. I have learned that Sofia is extra fussy and whiny when she hasn't had a sufficient amount of rest during the day. I have also noticed that when she happens to zonk out on the couch for an hour that she is crankier when she wakes up rather than if she had taken her nap in her own bed. I can't control the outside noise. We live on one of the busiest roads in our city and that means all kinds of loud noises. We hear music blaring from inconsiderate drivers, screeching tires from those who peel out from the street across from us and the occasional gun shots. There is no way to know when these loud noises will invade our home which means I can't schedule naptime around the interruptions. However, I can control the noise in my house. This means, when the babies are sleeping, I sleep or read quietly. When my children get enough rest they are happier. If you can't seem to get your baby to go down for a nap then "try napping with him/her". You need rest as well, so take advantage of this opportunity. Try establishing a routine for good bedtime habits and naptime habits. Most people won't admit this, but babies and toddlers need and thrive on routine. This will also eliminate a lot of stress throughout the day for baby and mommy. Dr. Sears has a whole list of helpful tips on creating good sleep habits. Serving God and My Family, Crystal <>< (SAHM)
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Children need NAPS…and so do Momma’s
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment