Sofia will soon be 2 years old and the so called “terrible two's” are creeping in. I hate to call it that, but it seems that is the only thing I know to call it. It isn't all that terrible to be honest. The only “new” behavior that is manifesting is whining. This can be frustrating at times, especially when I am on the phone or doing something which has taken my undivided attention away from her.
I must admit that there are times where I lose my patience with this new whining phase. So what is a mom to do? I don't want to raise my voice or strike her out of anger or frustration. I want to teach her to communicate properly without the manipulation tactic of whining.
Over at “Raising Godly Tomatoes” in Chapter 10, “Emotional Issues-- Crying and Whining”, this very problem is addressed. It explains the different types of cries, what do do when your child whines instead of asks for what they want or when a child screams when they don't get their way and many other issues that fall in the “whining” category.
I would imagine if I were not a stay at home mother, trying to discipline and disciple my children would be a much harder task. One of the many benefits of me being a SAHM is that I can address problems or bad behavior immediately. I can also invest more time into discipling my littles ones, instead of them being in the care of a daycare or public school system for 8 hours a day.
I must say that I am still learning exactly how to “train” my child. I wouldn't say that I have a “strong willed” child. Sofia has the same problem we all have...a sinful nature. I am sure if she were in a daycare setting for the majority of her day then she will undoubtedly pick up that “strong willed” feature that some children have.
I must say the first time I read “The Outside World” article under Family Commentaries, I thought this lady was an extremist. However, this past Sunday at church I now see the benefits of this lady's idea. In our church, I help our pastor's wife in “kids church” (2-4 year olds). We have a ministry focused on the children of the FEMA trailer parks who are victims of Hurricane Katrina. This past Sunday we had 4 little ones from the FEMA trailer parks. These children come from “not so great” backgrounds. There is little or no structure and no discipline. The fathers are usually non-existent and the mothers are in a world of their own, most likely recovering addicts if they are not still using. So you can imagine how these Sunday mornings might play out. This past Sunday Sofia picked up some behavior that is less than pleasing. So these past two days have been devoted to correcting her when she chooses to disobey me.
I do hope that you will check out “Raising Godly Tomatoes” and that it will be of help to you as it has to me.
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)














No comments:
Post a Comment