“1 In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, 2 as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior. 3 Your adornment must not be merely external--braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; 4 but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; 6 just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.” 1 Peter 3: 1-6
I find this passage of scripture very refreshing. I know that it speaks of submitting to my husband but it offers much encouragement. It gives instruction to wives to submit to their own husbands, and not to nag them! This is hard for me at times. Yes, even I nag my husband sometimes. However, in this passage Peter is giving instruction to wives about NOT nagging their husbands. It is in verse one, where Peter says; “they may be won WITHOUT a word”. Our behavior alone can win our husbands over for the Lord. This can be a challenging idea for wives. Of course we always think we are right and our husbands could benefit from doing things our way. However, we must remember the “Chain of Command”. Having served in the United States Air Force I know all about “Chain of Command”. Within the setting of marriage I am out ranked, so to speak, by my husband. Which means he is the one giving the orders to me, not the other way around. This type of leadership was set in motion once Adam and Eve disobeyed the Lord. As a result God tells Eve, “Yet your desire will be for your husband, And he will rule over you.” (Genesis 3:16) I do not see this as a bad thing at all. I have come to terms with the fact that I am easily deceived because women are known for being “too emotional”. That's right, women are more often led and ruled by their emotions rather than logic. This is where my husband comes into play as he is the “objective logical thinker”. He rules over me as protection for me! Isn't that great?!
Another piece of encouragement that I draw from this passage is in verse six where it says; “just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.”. This is showing us that when we are obedient to the Lord with our marriage in respecting our God given role, we have nothing to fear! Even if our husbands are being disobedient to the Word, in our obedience we can have peace that the Lord will take care of us. Now that is great news! We aren't obedient or submissive to our husbands because of what they are or aren't doing, but we are submissive because it pleases the Lord and keeps us under HIS ultimate veil of protection.
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)














1 comment:
I really like this post, Crystal. I constantly remind myself of it. The only thing I think we should focus on is that in verse 6 we are Sarah's daughters if we do what is right without fear. Correct, we have nothing to fear if we trust the Lord, but we must not fear if we are to trust in Him. I hope that makes sense.
Post a Comment