Friday, September 28, 2007

Verse of the Day


"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man." Matthew 15: 11


This week is drawing to a close and the Lord has been convicting me about my attitude/moods and how I react with my words. I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect and fall short daily! This post is more for me to read and reflect on than anyone else.

I often struggle with not allowing my bad moods to dictate how I behave and how I speak to my husband. The Lord has given me a cure for this sickness of the flesh and tongue, and it is His Word! Here are verses that I found that are so appropriate for my recent folly. I am going to read them each day to remind me of how I am to act and speak in order to honor the Lord and my husband.


The tongue of the righteous is {as} choice silver, The heart of the wicked is {worth} little.” Proverbs 10:20


There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, But the tongue of the wise brings healing. Truthful lips will be established forever, But a lying tongue is only for a moment.” Proverbs 12:18-19



The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable, But the mouth of fools spouts folly. The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Watching the evil and the good. A soothing tongue is a tree of life, But perversion in it crushes the spirit.” Proverbs 15:2-4



He who guards his mouth and his tongue, Guards his soul from troubles.” Proverbs 21:23


He who rebukes a man will afterward find {more} favor Than he who flatters with the tongue.” Proverbs 28:23


She opens her mouth in wisdom, And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.” Proverbs 31:26


If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.” James 1:26


So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!” James 3:5


And He was saying, "That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man.” Mark 7:20



Let us always remember that we need to speak words of Truth, love and encouragement to our husbands. I need to remember that my love for Malachi should be that of “phileo”.

In Titus 2:4 when it speaks of the older women teaching the younger women to love their husbands and children, the word “love” in that verse is the Greek word “phileo”, which is a love between very close friends. This type of love is a tender, affectionate, passionate kind of love. The emphasis is enjoyment and respect in the relationship. (I learned this from “Feminine Appeal” by:Carolyn Mahaney)

When I speak harsh words spawned by my bad mood I am not demonstrating the kind of love to my husband that the Word of God commands me to. I can get so caught up in something about my day that has gone wrong or not according to schedule and allow that to dictate my mood and behavior for the rest of the day. My husband, sadly becomes collateral damage in my destructive path.

I need to remember that no matter what takes place during my day I am to show him a tender, affectionate love as scriptures instructs. I do all of this not because of some special quality he holds, but because it honors and pleases the Lord.

I thank the Lord that His mercies are made new each day! I thank the Lord for giving me such an understanding and loving husband who corrects me ever so gently as not to break my spirit.


Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crystal -
This something I often struggle with as well. I have found that if I remember to pray and ask God to help me remember that Corey is a vessel of Christ - Christ lives in us - then when I am talking to Corey, I am talking to Christ. This completely changes my attitudes toward my husband! I would never treat Christ the way I treat Corey sometimes. Of course, I'm often convicted of how I've treated/spoken to my husband and must humbly ask for his forgiveness! This of course is impossible on my own and I need the grace and strength of God to do as I ought.

Blessings!

Kari

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon