Good Morning!
Today is Friday! I know for me Friday really is no different than any other day. The one thing that is a constant in my life for everyday is that it is another day to Praise the Lord!
The Lord spoke to me this morning about writing about being a “new” mom. Now my daughter is 15 months old, but I am still a “new” mom.
When Malachi and I found out that we were pregnant with Sofia many different feelings flooded my mind. Since we had already gone through the loss of miscarrying twice before I was a bit nervous about being pregnant a third time. I must say that I actually didn't get excited about being pregnant until we found out that Sofia was a girl. (About 20 weeks) It took me some time to experience the “joy” of being pregnant. The thought of losing her was always in the back of my mind. I must say that in “thinking” this way I was forgetting to praise the Lord for the miracle of life that He was forming in my womb. The message conveyed to us throughout scripture is that children are blessings from the Lord. To “not” be joyful about being pregnant, regardless the external circumstances of our environment, is almost like spitting on God's beautiful blessing. I know that sounds like a pretty harsh analogy.
As Christians we are told to “walk by faith and not by sight” (II Corinthians 5:7) If we have a heart to serve the Lord then we must have “faith” in Him and His Word. Once I gave birth to Sofia I did experience post-partum depression for a little while. My husband was a constant source of encouragement to me. He used God's Word to encourage me! I love that about him. My husband will always take me to the Lord's Word and not some secular pop-psychology. I had to keep in mind that even when I was feeling low or anxious that I must not sin. That is usually the tough part. The “feelings” of depression after having a child are normal for some. In these times after we have given birth to a beautiful child given to us by God, we must keep in mind that the enemy is an opportunist. Satan will always use a weak time in our lives to pounce on us. By “weak” time I mean that after having a baby our bodies can become tired and our mind after not having any sleep can become vulnerable. A great way to combat depression is the Word of God! Remembering His promises and how much He loves you will help to sail through the storm.
Another great way to combat depression is to “ask for help”. I cannot stress this enough. There is NO shame is asking for help from ladies at the church or a close family member. You are never less of a great mom because you need help. I was really bad about this because I wanted to be “Super Mom”. I became burned out really fast trying to do it all on my own. I had many ladies at our church who offered to help me with Sofia, but I would never allow them to. My mom offered to help by keeping Sofia for us for a few days. I am learning now that may not have been the best solution. It would have been better for someone to come to my home and show me some “tricks of the trade”, so to speak. Removing Sofia from the home didn't teach me how to manage her and my crazy hormones. I know this now for next time!
Remember that the Lord is always with you. Paul tells us in Romans that the Lord will save us if we call on Him. (Romans 10:3)
We serve a Great Loving, Merciful God who knows all that we struggle with. He is ready and willing to rescue you! One thing that was really great for me during the low time after having Sofia was just being honest and open with my husband about my feelings. We should always go to our husbands as well. Malachi and I prayed together and he prayed over me for God's Sovereign protection over my body and mind. Once I submitted all my thoughts and feeling so the Lord and refused to let the enemy win, the burden lifted.
Just because we have down days in our life doesn't give us the right to sin. So if you are struggling with depression whether it be from post-partum or just from life in general, keep your actions and motivations in line with the Word of God.
I pray that as you go about your day today that you would praise the Lord for all His Greatness, Love and Mercy that is made new each day!
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)














No comments:
Post a Comment