Today my sweet Eleanor “Ellie” Michelle celebrates her 1st birthday! I’m having trouble coming to terms with the fact that it has been 12 months since I gave birth to this incredibly sweet child. She has brought so much joy and brightness to our family from the moment she was born.
It seems like yesterday we were getting things prepared for our first homebirth. We had originally thought that Eleanor would be born early like her two big sisters were, however, after what seemed like an eternity waiting, Eleanor graced us with her presence on her due date.
I could not have planned her birth better. The Lord knew exactly the perfect time for Eleanor’s arrival and everything about her birth was magical. From the moment that my water broke (Niagara Falls style) to the moment I delivered her in the birthing tub in my dining room, things we calm and cheerful. Malachi and I had a good laugh while cleaning up all of the water that had poured on the floor like a torrential rain storm after my water broke, and from there we immediately went into “Birthing Mode”. Malachi got the coffee brewing while I called my midwife, doula and friend to inform them that “it was time”. I got my essential oils in place on the counter as well as the birthing music I had selected weeks in advance, all while smiling and breathing through each contraction.
Not once did I panic or become anxious. Malachi prayed over me and over Eleanor, which was such a blessing. I cannot put into words how much I adore my husband. His calm demeanor (which is very much natural to him) really helps to keep me grounded and level headed – and when in labor this can be very beneficial.
My contractions came on quick and strong, yet not one of them was so painful that I ever doubted my ability to get through each one triumphantly. I had the most amazing birth team any gal could have. The second each person arrived they immediately jumped into action; well, after being greeted by my handsome husband with freshly brewed coffee. The lights were dimmed; my soft relaxing birthing music was flowing through our home, while each member of my birthing team seemed to effortlessly and calmly attend to my every need while simultaneously getting my birthing tub prepared, my bed made and just simply getting things in order for our baby Ellie’s debut!
Oh what a glorious birth it was! My sweet and darling Sofia was present for the entire ceremony. She donned her fairy wings and became my special “Birth Fairy”. She was very calm and helpful throughout my labor. She even took it upon herself to pour warm water on my back while I labored in the tub. She wasn’t frightened or worried – but was extremely excited to see Eleanor. She still talks about being there when Eleanor was born and how special it was for her to be a part of such a wonderful event. I can tell, even now, that she and Eleanor have a special bond, and it is truly a sweet thing to witness.
I was in labor for about 3 hours and the second I was in the tub I began to feel the urge to push. I pushed a few good times and Eleanor made a peaceful arrival into my arms. She didn’t make a peep – almost like she just knew that all was well in her world and she was ready to be held by her momma. I put her to my breast and she began to nurse perfectly. Sofia was even given the high honor of cutting Eleanor’s “string” (umbilical cord) – she is such a good big sister!
And now…here we are a year later. My sweet Eleanor has been such a great baby. She has had two little colds over the past 12 months, each lasted about 24 hours or so. She did not do well with “baby food”; it made her violently vomit. So basically she just started eating what we eat and she hasn’t had any problems. She is still nursing as her primary source of nutrition and has been doing very well sleeping in her crib in the room with her big sisters. She adores them! Eleanor began walking at 9 months and is now chasing after her two big sisters all throughout the day.
She has been my healthiest baby. I just cannot believe that she is already a year old. I weighed her last week and she weighs 19lbs and is wearing 12-18 months clothes. She has not received a single vaccination – and we have witnessed so many benefits to this when compared to some of the things we went through with Sofia and Charlotte. All around we believe and are convinced that we have finally gotten it right. We are so grateful for God’s grace and mercy towards us and our children – and we are so grateful the Lord has blessed us with Eleanor Michelle.
For me personally, Eleanor’s birth was a healing one. I never thought a homebirth could be so freeing and empowering but it most certainly was one of my greatest achievements. All the glory and credit goes to the Lord because without His leading and strength I could not have accomplished it. I know longer fear childbirth or the pain that is inevitably apart of the process. I know believe that the entire process of birth is more emotional and spiritual than it is physical. God designed our bodies to have babies, and once we get out of the way and let our bodies do that which it was created to do – well, it is truly a glorious thing.
My sweet Eleanor – what a blessing from the Lord! The Lord has blessed me beyond my wildest dreams. Happy Birthday my sweet Eleanor Michelle!
Lord, I praise You from the depths of my soul for all that You have given me. I do not deserve one ounce of Your love, yet you have extended it to me so freely. Lord, I ask that you would protect my children all the days of their lives. That you would bring them to repentance and salvation for your Name’s Sake and that they would grow in grace and Truth for Your glory. Lord, I thank you for this past year, and all of the many trials and blessings that have come with it. I thank You for my sweet Ellie, the baby that You used to heal me in more ways than I can count. She, as with Sofia and Charlotte, are my most precious treasures. Please guide me in wisdom, love and Truth as I teach them Your ways. Forgive me, O Lord, for the many ways I have and will continue to fail my children, yet grant them grace and mercy and regenerate their hearts so that by Your power and will they may come to repentance and enjoy everlasting life with You. I love you, Lord and I thank You for allowing me to have my sweet Eleanor for these past 12 months and I pray that You will grant me many more years with her.
In Jesus Name, Amen.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <><














1 comment:
I recall your original post about her home birth. What a blessing!
On a side note, you are indeed blessed to have such a devoted and God-fearing husband.
Blessings,
Marcia
Post a Comment