Thursday, November 24, 2011
Our Thanksgiving - 2011
We had a splendidly scrumptious Thanksgiving. The morning began with Malachi making Indian and Pilgrim hats with Sofia and Charlotte while I prepared our Thanksgiving feast. I have prepared the Thanksgiving meal for the past 2 years and this year was no different, except we had no guests. We did invite a couple of friends over for dessert, but they were unable to make it.
The day was not without challenges and obstacles - my blender kicked the bucket, but I also learned that roasting pumpkins and sweet potatoes is a far more superior way to prepare them for cakes and pies than boiling them or using the processed can stuff. I was also quite proud of myself for making everything from scratch - which I've done in the past but not without utilizing a few short cuts (like canned pureed pumpkin and sweet potatoes). If I could have milked a cow and made my own butter or hunted down my own turkey I sure would have!
Our Thanksgiving dinner was super delicious and after years of hating sweet potatoes I have finally come to love them - IF they are roasted. I changed a couple of recipes that I had used before and used recipes I'd never used before. All in all, our day was filled with fun, laughter, a few tears, and much thankfulness that the Lord has blessed us so much! While I love hosting and sharing this day with lots of people, I have to admit that just spending the day serving my husband and children has made this Thanksgiving the best one I've ever been blessed to enjoy.
This was our Thanksgiving Menu:
Turkey - I just bought the breast part of the Turkey from Whole Foods (Seasoned with a little EVOO, Sea Salt, Cracked Pepper and Garlic - yep, that's it!)
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy - Made from the turkey drippings (I added a little white wine to de-glaze the pan)
Sweet Potato Souffle' - Used my mom's recipe but made some changes (Roasted the sweet potatoes and added a little bit of organic maple syrup and added handmade marshmallows on top)
Cranberry Relish - Made this myself with fresh cranberries, orange juice and some cane sugar)
Pecan Pie (Made the pie crust - no yuky red dye!)
Pumpkin Cake Bars (I bought two pumpkin pie pumpkins from Whole Foods and had the girls scoop out the seeds and I roasted the pumpkin and the seeds -YUM!)
We have lots of food left over and I'm going to make a Thanksgiving Pot Pie tomorrow. I made three pie crusts today and only used one for the Pecan Pie, so the other two will be used for the pot pie. I have left over roasted pumpkin that I'm looking for something to do with. Whew! My belly is so stuffed that I don't even think I can stand to talk about food anymore!
I pray that everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving Day celebrations! I also hope that you spent time reflecting on those things you are most Thankful for. Today I was reminded that I am most thankful for the Lord's grace and mercy in my life. He continues to remind me of this through my husband and children. I do not have to jump through hoops to win their love and acceptance - it is showered on me in spite of my imperfections. I just pray that at the end of the day I have served them well and for the glory of the Lord. Soli Deo Gloria!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <><
Labels:
Thankfulness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment