It is HOT in South Louisiana!
Yesterday we finally got some rain, but it was a storm and it brought along lots of nasty lightening that knocked the internet out for a while. Fortunately the storm didn’t knock the power out; we would have been miserably hot inside then!
Another milestone in this pregnancy was achieved yesterday. I am now 10 weeks and one day pregnant with this precious baby. We actually got to hear the little one’s heartbeat yesterday. Last year when we got pregnant we purchased a handheld Doppler from Amazon.com, but unfortunately we hadn’t been able to make any use out of it until yesterday! Once I found the little baby its heart rate was 167bpm the first time and then later in the evening was 180bpm! The girls absolutely loved hearing the baby’s heartbeat and it was such a blessing for me and Malachi to know that all is still well.
The nausea isn’t all that bad these days, and compared to my pregnancies with Sofia and Charlotte, the nausea hasn’t been nearly as bad. I am thankful for the Lord’s grace during these past few weeks, and although I struggle with fatigue, the Lord has continued to give me the strength I need to persevere through each day. Pregnancy is a great object lesson on only on the Lord’s Sovereignty but in how we have no choice but to rely and put our faith only in Him. He does what He pleases and we keep faithfully trusting in His Sovereignty. There is no greater peace than knowing the Lord knows all things (1 John 3:20) and controls all things (Ephesians 1:11).
Mr. Tim Challies over at Challies.com wrote a thought provoking article today on “How Will We Be Judged?” Mr. Challies brought up some great points on how each generation that come judges the past generation on social and cultural norms and issues of their day. How will Christians in the coming generations judge us? It is obvious that each generation has its own set of failures, and the Church is not exempt from producing many of those failures. Mr. Challies makes note of the issue of slavery here in America not too many years ago and how there were Christians who owned slaves. He says:
“You and I look to the southern Christians of the mid-1800’s and marvel that they could somehow believe that slavery was anything less than abhorrent. We look even to those who disliked slavery and wonder how they could have been so complacent, so passive in the face of such evil. “I am against slavery but feel we should let it die a natural death” does not impress us. But only outright arrogance could lead us to believe that we have no blind spots, no areas in which future generations of Christians will shake their heads and marvel that we could have been so blind.”
I highly recommend reading through Mr. Tim Challies’ article.
I also must recommend Mrs. Crystal Paine’s newest post over at Money Saving Mom. It is Part 3 of her posts on “15 Favorite Preschool and Kindergarten Resources”. She offers some great encouragement at the end of the article for mothers of little ones. She has hyperlinked Parts 1 and 2 too for easy access to read the previous posts.
Timothy Keller’s “Ministries of Mercy: The Call of the Jericho Road” in audiobook form is the FREE download of the month over at ChristianAudio.com. Use the coupon code AUG2010 at checkout.
A Children’s Book WARNING:
A few months back when we were getting stuff together for Sofia’s homeschool curriculum a certain book was recommended to add to our “Read Aloud” section, “My Little Golden Book About GOD”. Have you heard of this book? Do you own this book? If you own it, have you read it and did you find anything wrong with it? Well, in first few pages of this book my husband found the most absurd error for a book that is supposed to be for children to tell them about God. It was the first time either one of us opened it to read to the girls, but it was clear right away this book would not remain in our home. Why you ask? What could make this book so bad that we would actually have the urge to burn it?
“Think of the snow-capped mountain peaks. Those peaks were crumbling away with age before the first people ever lived on earth”
OH REALLY? Where does it say that in Genesis? Do you notice the obvious error? Since when did anything “age” long before mankind was created? Wouldn’t that imply there was death before the fall of man, when the Bible says death entered the world? This book in a very subtle (yet highly obvious to us) way sneaks evolutionary theory into a child’s book that is supposed to be a CHRISTIAN book about God. Anyone else have a problem with this? There is NO place or allowance for an “old earth” in scripture, and nothing died or aged for many years before the creation of mankind. The Genesis account of creation does not allow for such rubbish. This is yet again another reason that EVERYTHING that we buy, even from a Christian bookstore needs to be read through before purchasing.
We felt this error enough for me to need to expose it in a blog post. I am not sure if anyone has ever done this, but it was recommended to me that I write to the publishing company and complain about the error. I am getting my thoughts and scripture together to formally complain about this book. I do not in any way recommend this book to ANYONE!
We should be very careful as parents to be aware of all the things our children read that may steer them or their beliefs about God in the wrong direction. This book, while it may seem harmless sets the stage for a child to question the authority and authenticity of the scriptures. Parents beware! (I will expound on the error in this book in a separate blog post)
I pray that all of you are enjoying your Tuesday, and that you use this day, as with all days to glorify the Lord alone!
Soli Deo Gloria!
Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)














3 comments:
I guess I just got my answer that I posted on another post that I commented on! It was about the doppler! :oD
I do have that book and I have read it but it never went through my mind what it had said. It is sneaky! It wasn't a book I had read often or anything it was just a book that my MIL had given me as a Christmas gift I think. I guess we'll be taking that off our shelves! Thanks for posting!
I haven't read this book in quite a while. I'll have to find it and toss it. It's bad enough that my daughters will learn what the school system teaches them, and then come home to learn what the bible says; the 2 being different. We don't need books that teach them false things. Thanks for reminding me
Lindsay
Thanks for the heads up. We have this book, but haven't read it in a long time. Time to find and toss it. It's bad enough what the school system is teaching my girls, and then coming home to find it isn't true we don't need extra things around the house with false teachings. Thanks again
Post a Comment