This time of year is one of the busiest times of year, I think for everyone, regardless of religion, faith or lack thereof. Shopping, baking, traveling, decorating and much more seems to be the theme running through the veins of our culture during the Christmas holidays. Different people celebrate the holiday in different ways, but I would assume the majority of people within our nation realize that “Christmas” is a holiday used to mark the celebration of the prophesied Messiah’s miraculous birth. Jesus, the Son of the One True and Living God, humbled Himself and wrapped Himself in human form being without sin or blemish and being fully God and fully man.
Historically, I think we all know that Jesus Christ was not birthed on December 25th. The celebration of Christ’s birth being on December 25th was instituted by Constantine the Great (I think we all know what kind of man he was) when he declared Christianity, by way of the Roman Catholic Church, as the official religion. This was done in an effort to squelch the pagan holiday of Saturnalia.
I did not know every detail of the history of “Christmas” (although I did know most of it) until recently when I received Dr. Voddie Baucham Jr.’s latest Newsletter, where he included an article written by his daughter Miss Jasmine that I found very informative and convicting. You can read the Newsletter and Miss Jasmine’s article in their entirety HERE. I do hope you will take the time to read the article; it has certainly changed my perspective on the modern holiday of “Christmas”. (I couldn't figure out how to cite the article from the actual Newsletter, but I managed to find it posted on another blog...either way credit goes to Miss Jasmine Baucham)
When Malachi and I were first married I had many reservations to how “Christmas” was traditionally celebrated, and for the first 2 years of our marriage we did not have a Christmas tree, because for me, it had always been a place that “Santa” left gifts for me and my younger sisters. My husband on the other hand, was taught something totally different about the Christmas tree, as they did not celebrate “Santa” in any form when he was growing up. The past few years we have had a small tree, but even though I understand that it is not inherently sinful or wrong to have a Christmas tree during this time of year, I have always been uncomfortable displaying one, mostly because I know all too well what most people think when they see us with small children and a Christmas tree all lit up in our house; “the place where “Santa” will leave gifts”. Without me stopping and explain to each person who passes our apartment window, they will come to a natural conclusion about why we have a Christmas tree…for Santa and presents.
As far as St. Nicolas is concerned, he will not receive any more merit in my house than any other man who does the will of God. Why is that we don’t celebrate and recognize all the men who have been “sainted” by the RCC? Oh but St. Nicolas, we must teach our children about him around Christmas time. If the holiday is meant to be “all about Christ” then why do we feel the need to include St. Nicolas…to dispel the mythical stories of “Santa Claus” and his flying reindeer?
I am by no means having a “Bah Humbug” moment, just simply wanting to shed some light on a tradition that I think is being blindly perpetuated. Each day should be a celebration of the birth, life, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. Is celebrating “Christmas” on December 25th sinful or wrong, I do not believe so; however we should always evaluate our practices and traditions in light of God’s word, and make sure we aren’t just perpetuating something we aren’t 100% “in the know” about its origins. Many unbelievers will bring this subject up to unsuspecting Christians, and it may leave them looking quite foolish if they are unable to explain themselves.
I thank Miss Jasmine Baucham for writing the article she did. I felt it was informative and yet sensitive to those who choose to celebrate “Christmas” on December 25th.
I do pray that all my readers enjoy this time, and spend it focusing on the Lord Jesus Christ and how you can serve Him and your family in a manner that brings honor and glory to Him alone!
Serving God and My Family,
Mrs. Crystal Sewell <>< (SAHM













No comments:
Post a Comment