Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Biblical Submission in Marriage


"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord." Ephesians 5:22

"Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything." Ephesians 5:24

"Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord." Col 3:18

"A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones." Proverbs 12:4

"…a quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping." Proverbs 19:13

"Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife." Proverbs 21:9

"In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives," 1 Peter 3:1


 

I came across two great blog posts on the issues of Biblical Marriage. Mrs. Fuentes over at "A Wise Woman Builds Her Home" posted two great articles on this subject in relation to Martha Peace's book "The Excellent Wife". I implore you ladies to go over and take a look.

Lack of Submission

Respecting Your Husband- A Self Assessment

The Self Assessment is great! I have "The Excellent Wife" book and highly recommend it and the study guide. Take this little test and see what your answers are: (taken from Mrs. Fuentes' blog)

1. Do you speak to your husband in a condescending "put down" manner? For example: What's the matter with you?"

2. Do you treat your husband in private as respectfully as you do your pastor, your neighbor, or your friends in public?

3. Does your countenance show your disrespect by angry looks, looks of disgust, crossed arms, etc?

4. Do you talk for your husband or interrupt him?

5. Do you try to intimidate or bully your husband by making threats, verbally attacking him, crying, or in some other way manipulating him to have your own way?

6. Do you bring up his shortcomings to others?

7. Do you inappropriately contradict him in front of others?

8. Do you compare him unfavorable to other men?

9. Do you listen carefully to your husband's opinion, trying to understand him?

10. Do you respect his position in the home so much that he can depend on you to do as he asks even when he is not home?

11. Do you respect his requests by trying to do as he asks, even if it doesn't seem important to you?

12. Are you obeying God by being respectful to your husband?

Now after having gone through this list if you should happen to have found that you failed in any of these areas confess it to the Lord as sin and He will be faithful and just to forgive you. Ask your husband for forgiveness and ask him to hold you accountable when he thinks you are being disrespectful.

If you think you are not disrespectful, share this list with your husband to get his perspective and opinion, sometimes others view us differently than what we see ourselves to be!

I highly recommend 'The Excellent Wife' to all women for her sound counsel from the Word of God. She challenges women in many areas, especially with renewing the mind with scripture.
Click here to purchase a copy.


 



Daily I have to die to myself in order to first obey the Lord and then submit under my husband's God-given authority over me. When I married Malachi I deliberately made the choice to place myself under his authority as Head of me and our family. God of course is head of my husband and therefore Malachi is responsible for the decisions he makes that affect our family, both positively and negatively. I have had to learn that prayer and trusting the Lord are HUGE acts of faith on my part in my marriage. The Lord knows everything that goes on within the walls of my home, heart and mind. There is nothing hidden from Him. (Luke 8:17) The Lord will not allow sin in my heart or my husband's heart to go undetected or un-dealt with for very long. Daily we pray that the Lord would protect us from the plans of the enemy, as he would seek to divide and destroy our marriage. Either way my responsibility is to be obedient to the Lord and He requires me to submit to my husband. I see no where in scripture that allows for anything else. I have had to learn to put Malachi before my own desires. The Bible does tell us not to think more highly of ourselves than we ought (Romans 12:3), so I have to squash any feelings of entitlement both in my marriage and life in general. I am constantly seeking to be more conformed to the image of Christ and to be a Godly wife that please the Lord and her husband.


 

Serving God and My Family,

Crystal <>< (SAHM)


 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is a great post!
I really love "The Excellent Wife". I have already read it through once, but David let me buy it so that I would have it available to read whenever I want. =)

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon