Wednesday, March 26, 2008

6 Months Pregnant Today! (24 weeks)


Praise the Lord for He is Good!


Today I am officially 6 months pregnant! Malachi and I are just so excited about little Charlotte!


I am enjoying every minute of this pregnancy...even the getting bigger, more uncomfortable, and no sleep parts!


Malachi and I have been doing our research into natural childbirth. We do plan on having Charlotte naturally. I say “we” because well, we are “one flesh” and yes the laboring part will be hard on my husband as well. Any husband who truly loves their wife will never take pleasure in their wife being in any kind of pain. My husband is so protective of me that I think watching me in pain will be worse for him than the pain I will experience physically. (I know some women are rolling their eyes...keep rolling them)


We have met with a Doula and we are excited about having her help us through the labor and delivery process. I would actually love to have a home birth, but since this is the first natural birth we will be experiencing, Malachi feels more comfortable at a hospital...just in case. Hopefully next time, and yes I am hoping there is a next time, I can have a home birth.


I just completed reading through “Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way: Revised Edition” by Susan McCutcheon-Rosegg, Erick Ingraham, and Robert A. Bradley. I actually just ordered a copy for a friend who is pregnant as well. I highly recommend this book. One of my very good friends recommended the Bradley Method and I am glad she did. She is in her early 30s and has 3 children of her own...all delivered naturally! That is a great encouragement to me! She delivered her third child 2 months after I had Sofia, and she has shared with me her wealth of knowledge on just how possible and wonderful a natural birth can be!


We are choosing to use a Doula to help us have the natural birth we are desiring. She is there to support me AND Malachi, which I think is just awesome.


Here are some great sites to learn more about what a Doula is and what services they provide:


DONA International


Doula Network


Doula


Birth Help (Here in Baton Rouge)




I also have some websites for Natural Childbirth:


The Bradley Method


Birthing Naturally


Birthing with Guinever


Natural Childbirth for some reason, causes some women and men to get very defensive. I am not sure why. A woman's body was created to carry and deliver babies. The Lord designed them so perfectly that only women can accomplish this task! There are circumstances where a woman needs a C-section. However, from all the studies I have read, the rate of C-section is higher than ever! Does this mean the female body is failing? I think not. It is more convenient, I guess, to have an elective C-section, and doctors are also quick to choose this route if they feel that a woman has labored too long. How long is “too” long? Why is natural birth this “taboo” thing now a days? When I mentioned that we wanted a natural birth with Sofia, I got all kinds of looks and remarks, none of which were encouraging. This time however, I am not listening to ANY negative comments and I am not paying attention to any weird looks. I am not an alien, and I am not doing anything uncommon...I am having a baby! I believe that modern medicine should not be used to replace natural birth, but used as a safety net for when emergencies arise. I am thankful for C-sections and epidurals because there are babies and moms who need these procedures. However, these procedures are relatively new, but giving birth naturally is not.


My husband and I have been talking about this topic a lot lately, and he made a wonderful observation or point:


For those who snub their noses at natural birth because they feel it is an unneeded regression away from post-feminist society and towards the antiquated agrarian culture, then maybe you should also quit buying "organic" foods, and herbal teas.”


My husband is so insightful! I am blessed to have him as my husband!


Serving God and My Family,
Crystal <>< (SAHM)

No comments:

Louisiana Canary Party - Get Involved!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon